Thursday 17 January 2013

Threading a Pinnock

It's easy to make it "Threading a Sewing Machine" but my daughter's Singer is not the same as any of my machines. Hers has a built in bobbin holder, where you just drop a bobbin in. Mine is different, and it's the only other one I've had experience on: It has a removable bobbin holder which is very common I've noticed. Also very expensive. A couple of months ago I went to a sewing shop in Thornbury and she charges $20 for a new one!! I didn't get it and a week or so later I'd bought another machine from the tip shop and it had some spares.
The bobbin tension is a real pain in the proverbial if you don't get it right, but it's really quite simple once you've seen it. There are a great many videos made that are on youtube and instructions just about everywhere, but rather than recommend one of these (you can Google for yourself I'm sure) here is my brief guide, using my partner's new (?) machine ($2 at a garage sale - yes really, but I had to clean it, oil it, grease it, give it a base and test it).
Before threading your new old machine, give it a really good clean. Thread carries and creates a lot of dust which gets stuck everywhere thread goes. The thread path plus the feed dogs and the bobbin case. All the Pinnocks I've had so far have an easily removable bobbin case, so remove it and remove all the dust and bits of thread.
1. Foot tension. I only mention this since it's a major cause of puckering. If you're getting puckering, release this a little.
2. Thread goes through this hole
3. Tensioner. Just wind it around
4. ... then back over the spring then down so it
5. ...goes around the arm.Thread through the take up arm at the top then down.
Thread through everything that looks like it will guide the thread, then through your needle.
Thread goes through the needle from left to right or front to back, depending on your model.
same, but from the side
My rusty bobbin holder. The thread must do a U-turn to enter the bobbin holder's thread slot.
pull thread back toward the protruding arm. Note the tension screw in this photo
and through the hole.

And that's how to do it. Not hard but trial and error is a harsh teacher, so I hope I've saved someone some time.
EDIT (thanks Greg Livingston): Download the manual here

11 comments:

  1. You're a gem! Thanks so much for this - I'll give my 'new' Pinnock another look later this week. By the way, it's the same one you have pics of in your December 9th Post. If mine fails me I know who I can donate it to. Hopefully I can get it going. IF you're interested in my machines I recently purchased here's the ebay link. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121035922485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
    hope you can still view it. Thanks again for all your help ... hope I can return the favour one day.
    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries at all Jenny. I subsequently discovered a manual for a very similar machine, which I made into a pdf in case you needed it. Wow! You got the sewing machine bargain of the century with those machines.
    If you need the other manual I got it from http://bypatrice.com/sewing/deluxe_manual/
    Best of luck.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      Do you mean "how do I get the thread to go through the sewing hole", or "how do I get the thread through the bobbin hole"?
      I just added you to my Google circle so PM me if you want to talk about this. Incidentally, I'm also a qualified teacher.
      Mike

      Delete
  3. Oh, and yes I'm always interested in lovely vintage machines :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Mike. I've just bought a Pinnock and thinking I'm going to get stuck. I tried threading how I normally would (mum had a Necchi that seemed a bit similar, from memory),but it just seems to be jamming in that tension knob thing, before I can do anything. (I'm a VERY infrequent sewer, though my mum was a Flinders Lane ragtrader, but she's lost her skills now). I'm also an impatient threader. I'll keep trying .. but wondered if you had the pdf you mentioned - and if all else fails - is it what you teach? - I probably just need one lesson .. if that's what you do. thanks! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea, I teach VCE maths and I.T. Yes, a bit far removed from sewing but I would love to help you thread your new machine.
    The tension knob shouldn't normally catch the thread, but it often builds up dust and dirt from thread passing through. Singer say to clean between the tension discs with a soft cloth.
    The other manual is still at http://bypatrice.com/sewing/deluxe_manual/ (just checked).
    I'll look you up and email you so you can contact me.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your profile isn't public, so I can't contact you, but let me know how you go with it. I would give it a really thorough clean and oil if I were you.
      Mike

      Delete
    2. oh I don't know much about using these forums - I expected your reply would just go straight to my email - sorry!! Cool - I'm going to have a closer look. I'll let you know when I've had another go. (after I've downloaded the pdf). (I'll also see how to make my profile public) :-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for advice. I think my problem is a rusty bobbin holder. Does a all purpose "singer janome brother" bobbin fit? It looks as if it would. I picked up a brand new still in box "inside was immaculate" for $10. It kinda sewed until i had to change cotton. I oiled it & put it to test but won't see now? Tension is 5, bobbin tension is medium tight. I run a brand new brother with enough knowledge to have min problems. So anymore advice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the manual for this exact machine. Pinnock Sewmaster 1957. I can scan it and provide. glivo@optusnet.com.au.

    I would really like a manual for a Pinnock Jewel Mark III Zig Zag if anybody has it. The Pinnock 404 manual is very helpful but not perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. That's pretty generous. I scanned one a couple of years back and forgot to link it, but here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzYIf_ewK9AfN1pNejlFWTdOZms

      Delete