Not really sure why I'd put this here. To brag is just ridiculous. I'm critical of my abilities so why share unless I can show someone else how to do it.
Well, I'm quite "financially challenged" most of the time, and particularly now I'm in the teaching "industry" so when my Harrington (generic one by Merc, not a real one) faded and was wearing out what does an amateur seamster do?
Hardest thing to get is the sleeve ribbing, so I had to get that first then match up the drill, which is far more common and buy whatever tartan I can find at the right price (appropriate attitude, considering). The original tartan was made from poly viscose, basically crap, so I bought some poly wool.
This is the part I can't share with you: The pattern. I had the local pattern maker draft a paper pattern from the old jacket and copied it.
Can probably go into great detail next time I make one (which will be very soon) but if you have a suggestion as to how I can digitise the pattern without lectra or gerber please let me know.
Pockets were extremely hard to finish and this is the weakness of the garment. My colleague (who also sews) spotted it almost straight away. Pocket welts have to be done by hand.
The Reader's Digest complete guide to sewing was invaluable, and I recommend it highly. Probably not entirely complete but certainly a great resource.
Here's the finished jacket:
Tip: Make at least three practice pockets before approaching your real garment. I did and although it's still not perfect it's pretty good.
After I took these pics I scotch garded it. The Baracuta G9 is waterproof, and as if a Harrington isn't practical enough already, staying dry is pretty great.
I promise to describe construction in detail next time and have to add an entry now for my new sewing machine.
Sewn on a 1959 Singer 320k2, buttonholes worked on 1892 Singer VS2 treadle with buttonhole attachment.